Tuesday, May 21, 2013

RPG Mobs - Genestealers

This is the first installment of a new series entitled RPG Mobs. On occasiona, I bang out some baddies for our PC's to fight. They usually aren't anything spectacular as I aim for low table top quality. However, I think there will be something of interest, weather it be older models, creative mods/techniques, ore something else. Enjoy!

L: Cut in purple detail and washed
R: Primed

These are Genestealers from the 1st and 2nd edition Space Hulk sets, and from Advanced Space Crusade. I love the original paint scheme and set out to try and quickly replicate the look. We are using these for a series of Deathwatch missions (clearing out a Space Hulk... WOO HOO!!!)

I started with a can of spray paint from the local hardware store. I wanted a light blue-grey and what I found is perfect! After the primer dried, I added in the purple areas. Unfortunately, the spray paint was semi-gloss and I had issues with painting over it. The next time I will try hitting it with a clear matte-cote before painting.

Next, I washed the entire figure with a 4:1 mix of black to blue wash (I used GW's Badab and Asurmen). When that was dry I hit all the claws and teeth with a tan--Eventually, I will highlight that with Ivory. Lastly, the tongue.

The entire brood

Overall, this went very quick. As for basing, I will probably use "granny grid" and plasitcard to create a simple tech-deck.

That's about all I have to say about these guys. Although, I may not be able to prevent myself from adding a little bit of highlighting to the blue and purple before I call this project done.

Hope you enjoy this series!

No comments:

Post a Comment