Wednesday, February 12, 2014

40k BatRep - Space Marines vs Tau 1500pts

My third 40K Bout with Deathbot!! 

This is another 1500 point battle. Again I am fielding all my Tau. At the time this was everything I had assembled. The Space Marines got a bit of a change up.

Again, we are playing a hybrid of 5e and 6e rules. Essentially, I am building the Army Lists with Army Builder 6e data set and using the 5e BRB. Since this game I have redownloaded the 5e data set in Army Builder, so if I can not get a hold of the 6e rulebooks and codecies, we can play our next game entirely in 5e.

Crisis Suit Shield Drones not pictured

I realize now that I have made a mistake in all three of my last battles versus Deathbot. I have been running a 12-man Fire Warrior team plus 2 Gun Drones all in a Devilfish! Woops!!

My force is identical except I discovered I could afford a Fourth shield Drone:
  • XV8 Commander + Bodyguards (313): Fusion Blaster x3; Missile Pod x3; Plasma Rifle x3; Shield Drone x2
  • XV8 Crisis Team  (230): Shas'vre; Fusion Blaster x3; Missile Pod x3; Plasma Rifle x3; Shield Drone x2
  • Fire Warrior Team (237): Shas'ui; Pulse Rifle x12; Gun Drones x2; Devilfish w/ Disruption Pod
  • Fire Warrior Team (237): Shas'ui; Pulse Rifle x12; Gun Drones x2; Devilfish w/ Disruption Pod
  • Remote Sensor Tower Team (120): TL Markerlight x3
  • Heavy Drone Team (150): TL Burst Cannon x3; Burst Cannon and Markerlight x3
  • Sniper Drone Team (58): Rail Rifle x3; Networked Markerlight
  • Hammerhead (161): TL Smart Missile System; Railgun w/ Solid & Submunitions; Disruption Pod; Seeker Missiles x2
Total Points: 1506


Deathbot wanted a change. He really wanted to play with the IG squad Adeptus-B gave him for Christmas. I also thought he was ready for psychic powers!
  • Terminator Librarian (130): Storm Bolter; Force Axe; Psy 1; xxxxxxx
  • Terminator Squad (170): Sergeant; Storm Bolter x4; Power Fist x4; Power Sword; Hvy Flamer
  • Terminator Squad (170): Sergeant; Storm Bolter x4; Power Fist x4; Power Sword; Hvy Flamer
  • Tactical Squad (205): Sergeant; Bolt Pistol x10; Bolter x7; Chain Sword; Flamer; Hvy Bolter
  • Tactical Squad (205): Sergeant; Bolt Pistol x10; Bolter x7; Chain Sword; Flamer; Hvy Bolter
  • Assault Squad (215): Sergeant; Bolt Pistol x10; Chain Sword x8; Flamer x2
  • Predator (165): TL Lascannon; Lascannon x2.
  • Aegis Defence Line (50):
  • Primarius Psyker (70): Laspistol; Force Weapon; xxxxxx
  • IG Veteran Squad (125): Sergeant; Melta bombs x10; CCW x10; Lasgun x7; Laspistol; Flamer; Plasma Gun
Total Points: 1505


Again I let Deatbot choose and place terrain, although I rotated a couple of pieces for his benefit. The table size was 3.5' x 6' and I really liked the additional width... got to get another battle board made!!

I also let Deathbot choose his side and we rolled up Annihilation and Dawn of War.


Deathbot deployed first with his Terminator Librarian and both Tactical Squads. While I deployed my XV8 Commander + Bodyguards, a Fire Warrior Team in Devilfish, and my Remote Sensor Tower Team.

The only reserves were Deathbot's 2 Terminator squads and his Assault Squad.

\
On Turn 1, Deathbot was only able to bring on his Predator and IG Sqaud as everything else was in reserves. Both his Tactical Squads were dead enter in his deployment zone, while his Predator and IG Squad moved up his right flank.
I chose not to have reserves this game, so I brought the rest of my force on the board. I split my force in half and advanced them along both flanks, although my right flank was stronger.

I don't recall any casualties.


Deathbot rolled extremely well for reserves on Turn 2 and got the remainder of his force. He chose to not Deep Strike, so walked them on the board. He placed them all on the left side of the board. While we both had the strongest units facing each other, I severely overpowered the opposite side of the board.

I go deep with my Devilfish in order to catch Deathbot's IG in crossfire. Then I jump-shoot-jump my Heavy Gun Drone Team so that my Hammerhead can shoot unobstructed while the Heavy Gun Drone screen the tank on Deathbot's turn.


On Turn 3 Deathbot went for it. He advanced almost everything to my right flank. Only the Assault Marines made it to melee.

I moved a Devilfish deeper into Deathbot's territory and unloaded its occupants. The tank was providing cover from any fire from the dwindling IG Squad. Then I completely forgot to move my Heave Gun Drones back to screen my Hammerhead. The last move was to advance my other Devilfish as close as I could to the nearest Terminator Squad. I was trying to bait Deathbot to attacking my tank and not charging towards my battlesuits.

Big brawl between 5 Assault marines vs
6 XV8 Crisis Suits + 4 Shield Drones

I reduced the Assault Marines to 6 before they got to my Commander and bodyguards. On Deathbot's turn he lost a marine and I took 2 wounds. On my turn I brought another XV8 team to the fray, and by the end of Turn 3 I wiped out the marines. 


Turn 4 opened with a bang! The bait worked and Deathbot attacked my Devilfish a little too well. It exploded taking out the entire Terminator squad!! I lucked out only loosing 5 Fire Warriors and 2 Gun Drones. Deathbot kept advancing towards my right flank and tried to hide his last few IG.

I brough everything I had down on the IG Squad and sent a Fire Warrior Team to outflank the Predator.


At this point Deathbot knew it was over, but he played out the 5th turn anyway.  The only thing he had a chance at was to go after my Sniper Drones hiding in the (almost) middle of the table. He only managed to take out 1 drone. He took an obligatory shot at my Hammerhead (with the typical no effect).

I took what shots I could, taking out some marines here and there. I notice in the pic that my Fire Warriors that outflanked the Predator have taken quite a few losses, but I do not recall from what... likely the Predator.

Game thoughts...

After all is said and done, I came to the conclusion that it doesn't matter if we are playing a hodgepodge version of 5e and 6e. We are having fun, and that is all that counts! However, I am curious about the new rules and new 'dexes, but just can't afford them right now. I will see if I can borrow a copy from my friends to give 6e a proper try.

 Check out Battle 1 and Battle 2

No comments:

Post a Comment