Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Ordo Bowl '17 Season 1 Round 7 (Game 6) AAR

[During my absence from the blog-o-sphere, I was still active on and off in the hobby. In February of this year, I joined a local gaming club, Ordo Fanaticus, in order to participate in their Blood Bowl league. This BatRep was written for and emailed to my friends after each of those games. Periodically, I will re-post them to this blog. --Zorcon]

I am a couple BatReps behind. Over the last 2 Thursdays, I played my Round 7 game and a make-up game for Round 2. Prior to these games, I was in second place with a win/loss record of 4-1. Points wise that put me 1-1/2 games behind 1st and a 1-1/2 games ahead of 3rd). At that point I played 1 less game than 1st and 3rd place, so I was sitting pretty good, although I hadn't locked up 2nd place for the Finals.

A quick recap of my past games: 

Round 3: Won vs Humans; Points: 2-0; Casualties 5-1
Round 4: Loss vs 1st place Undead; Points: 0-2; Casualties 1-4
Round 1 (Make-up): Won vs 2nd place Lizardmen; Points: 2-1; Casualties 1-3
Round 5: Won vs Orcs; Points: 1-0; Casualties 4-2
Round 6: Won vs Skaven; Points: 2-1; Casualties 1-0


ROUND 7 - vs VAMPIRES

The opposing coach is the commissioner of my league, and plays in the upper league. I knew five ST4/AG4 Vampires was going to be a difficult match-up. But one of the Vampires had an AG 5! I was entirely unprepared to deal with him at the onset of the match. My team value was high enough, the opposing coach was able to higher Count Luthor Von Drakenborg--a ST5/AG4 tough Vampire Star Player.

First kick off was a high kick and AG5 Vampire starts the game with the ball in hand, deep on his side of the pitch. At first the opposing coach had a difficult time passing the 2+ Blood Lust check when activating Vampires, but NUFFLE mostly balanced things out by Defender Down/Stumbles on his single die blocks the entire game. I had a pretty good line of defense, but a Vampire busted through my left sideline and got 3 squares from my endzone, followed by 2 Thralls staggered behind. The AG5 ball-carrier had an easy advance to a quick pass next turn. I put two players adjacent to the "receiver" as insurance. Then I sent a Bull Centaur to Blitz the Vampire receiver but I got a push result. That still left me with three tacklezones on him. I also managed to mark both Thralls, and get two players on the "thrower". My fate is now up to my opponent to make all the dice rolls to score--2 Dodges, a GFI, a Pass, a Catch, and 2 Dodges. It was looking grim for me with all that high Agility, but the pressure on the receiver paid off as the catch failed.

My turn 4. I tighten up my defenses, and throw a couple 2-die blocks away from the ball. Then I try to get the Vampire away from the ball, but after two 2-die blocks, the Vampire is still up and adjacent to my only Hobgoblin in the area. I make the dodge, but fail the pick up and the ball scatters off the pitch. The crowd throws the ball straight in about 10 squares, behind my defensive line. The Vampires could not reach the ball, and on my next turn a Hobgoblin scoops up the ball and makes a Handoff to another Hobgoblin. That Hobgoblin runs for the endzone with a Bull Centaur screening him. The Vampires are too fast to allow me to break away, and we trade blows while I slowly move down field. On my turn 8, I need two take-downs on two 2-die blocks to clear a path. One resulted in a push, which meant I needed 2 Dodges to break free for a TD--I failed the second one. But I still consider it a successful half preventing the Vampires from scoring.

Second Half. I receive the ball, and fairly easily march the ball down for a TD on turn 4. We set up for kick off again and I push my luck a little with the kick skill. I count out 3 squares diagonally from the left sideline along the line of scrimmage, hoping to nab the ball. I got perfect defense, and rearranged my players to take advantage of a short kick. The bounce landed the ball on the line of scrimmage at the feet of 2 Bull Centaurs and a Chaos Dwarf. The Vampire coach ran a couple of defenders near the ball and then tried to pick up the ball with the AG5 Vampire. He failed the Blood Lust roll (KO'ing a Thrall), and failed to pick up the ball (An AG5 player picking up the ball with 3 tacklezones nets a 4+ roll). The ball scatters to a Bull Centaur, then scatters to a Hobgoblin, who catches it...turnover and I have the ball! On turn 8 I am in a similar position to the end of the first half with similar results, and miss out on another point. 

I win and feel really good about the game. Overall I had control of the entire game, shuting down the vampire's offence and managed to control Count Luthor. I only scored 1 point, but the game could have ended 3-0 my favor.

Round 7: Won vs Vampires; Points: 1-0; Casualties 2-0

No comments:

Post a Comment