Thursday, January 7, 2010

Battlefleet Gothic on the Brain

Another subject that has been keeping me occupied over the last few weeks is Battlefleet Gothic. Lately I have been trolling Google images and blogs, sketching out some plans for new terrain, and making plans to improve my existing terrain (a bunch of foam balls painted brown and glued on flight stands).

I have some Armageddon Sector ships and some Rogue Trader ships burning to get out of the box and get painted too... I may have to appease the pewter gods later this week.

There are three shelves of my "project organizer" dedicated to BFG: Imperial Fleet, Space Marine Fleet, and Generic (orbital platforms, space stations, rogue trader, terrain). I pulled all 3 shelves out to re-inventory what was done and in progress. Then I started assembling some of the ships from my stash.

[Edit] I wrote this yesterday, and scheduled it to post later today. But I got a little over zealous with things... there are far more projects than I mentioned in my last two posts that I actually worked on. This is a quick list off the top of my head of stuff that that I pulled out and started working on yesterday:

1. Aquilla Lander - I combined some of the smaller pieces of the Crashed Aquilla Lander terrain piece to make 3 pieces total. I traced the shapes onto foam core , and started gluing them to their base.

2. Blastscape - I started trimming the flashing off the edges.

3. Necromunda Objective Markers - I worked a bit on 5 objective markers discussed in this post.

4. Fences & Walls - I fussed around with a WIP cyclone fence project and some resin tech walls.

5. Bases - I trimmed excess plasticard off of WIP urban bases for my Adeptus Arbites squads.

6. Hills - I recently bought a new foam cutter and experimented with cutting out different shapes and textures. I have had a "P" shaped foam cutter for years, but before Xmas, I purchased a straight "I" shaped cutter.

7. Necromunda Terrain - I have a bunch of small (about 60-80 mm) terrain pieces for Necromunda. They are mostly stacks of crates and oil drums that we position around the board to add cover and they are based on square patches of plasticard. I decided it would look better to trim the plasticard to the shape of the actual foot print of the pieces. Since I had bashed some of the terrain to work on my Necromunda objective markers, I had some loose pieces, plus I have some new WIP pieces. I played around with combining different pieces to create both small and large finished pieces.

8. Drones - I assembled (and magnetized) 4 Tau shield drones from my stash, and completed assembly on the 4 converted WIP shield drones. I completed 2 WIP marker light drones, and started 2 converted marker light drones.

So much for taking it easy until surgery!!

Dark Heresy Character Sheets

We only played 2 sessions of our new Dark Heresy campaign before my health issues put it on hold. But during the break I have managed to finish up a custom character sheet. I made it compatible with both Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader.

The border art, logo and background watermark are IP of Games Workshop and/or Fantasy Flight Games.

Designing character sheets is something I have always done for the campaigns I have played in. Back in grade school (and 1st edition D&D), I bought paste-up boards from a local art supply store and hacked up photocopies of "official" sheets, then used a tech-pen and straight edge to create my own character sheets.

[Edit] Here is a link to a PDF file of the character sheets. It is set up with crop marks to print on an 11" x 17 " sheet of paper so there is no white boarder (required trimming). However, there should be no issues printing this file to a standard 8.5" x 11" paper size.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

WIP: Necromunda Objectives

I am still waiting for my surgery to be scheduled, but I'm getting a little stir crazy in the meantime. As I sit reading blogs, and writing army lists the temptation to get back to the workbench was too strong to resist. I spent about an hour the other day, and a few hours today working on some objective markers.

As typical of my nature, I often start projects before I complete the ones already in progress. So I did not work on my TOEMP projects, or my Tau army, or even any WH40KRP NPCs. I was inspired to work on Necromunda terrain. I started by making sketches of buildings that were never finished by adding detail, or making changes to parts I didn't like. Then I started digging around in my terrain boxes, and pulled out a few small pieces. I decided to make some Necromunda objective markers in the same vain as my Tau objective markers, that I could also use for an IG/Arbites force.

I wanted the Ammo Dump to look like a pallet of supplies that the looters were chased off in mid raid. The painted parts were lifted off existing terrain pieces.

This is a rat coop. It could also house blood beetles, giant slugs, blind snakes or mutant dogs. The door slides up and down and is removable. There is room for a std figure, so this could be used as a makeshift prison for a rescue mission too.

For this piece, I took a hatch that wasn't based, or attached to anything. I simply added some detail and a partially demolished bulkhead.

The waterstill is mostly unchanged, except for adding a valve and faucet, and mounting to a detailed 60mm base.

The last piece was a computer terminal that was inspired by the scene from Star Wars where Old Ben was on the Death Star turning off the tractor beams. I have evolved it into a coms tower.