Sunday, February 13, 2011

[3-D] Print on Demand

I first heard about this little company, shapeways.com from the Daily Illuminator over at Steve Jackson Games. As Paul Chapman said, the dice are very inciting.

After looking through their site for a couple of hours, I decided to order a few of things-- 3 dice and a sci-fi wall detail.

Pinwheel Die 10 (item on shapeways.com)
(click on image to enlarge)
These dice are amassing!! I ordered the White Strong & Flexible material. They can easily be inked and/or painted. However they are a little light in the hand for my taste for game use. If I were to decide to use the pinwheel dice in a game, I would prefer to get another set in metal-- Yes! You can have these babies printed up in stainless steel, antique bronze, or other metals. Some items can be printed in glass!!

Tocrax Ten-Sided Die  (item on shapeways.com)
(click on image to enlarge)
This is another design marvel. However, as a die it is a little too out there for my taste... it will have to settle for residing on my "interesting dice" shelf.

Wall Computer
(click on image to enlarge)
The last item I ordered is a computer console/wall section. It was only available in the transparent detail material. Unfortunately, I can also no longer find it on their site. I don't know if this had anything to do with it, but the original image showed the piece on top of what appeared to be a GW wall section.

No comments:

Post a Comment